Question for dynamic lists

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Question for dynamic lists

Postby cookie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:20 pm

Hello

We like building a webapplication for our small company. Servoy turned up for it, as also did Filemaker (which is very expensive from the licensing point) or MySQL with pure AJAX. But there's an important functionality we need. The main task the applications should contain is an area to write comprehensive bills (they can contain 5 or more sheets). The different positions should be drag and dropped from a catalogue, reordered and changed easily. They also should be adjusted in size dynamically (because they could contain longer descriptions)

From the servoy examples and pictures, all looked very static in comparision to new web 2.0 applications like google calendar and google docs (which act in some way as my vision for this app). Either does Filemaker...

Specificialy I need some AJAX integrations like:
http://tool-man.org/examples/sorting.html
http://www.cyberdummy.co.uk/test/dd.php
http://tool-man.org/examples/edit-in-place.html

Mayor questions: Is this possible with Servoy? Is a ordinary servoy developper capable of doing that?

Regards
cookie

Postby jcompagner » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:05 pm

currently servoy doesn't support those advanced ajax components (like drag n drop in the browser) We will add more and more ajax things in the coming releases
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby kazar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 pm

It seems it should be possible to modify the html pages written by Servoy in any way one wishes? Such as adding AJAX components? (of course, keeping careful track of one's mods since Servoy will overwrite the pages when you change a form)

I could even see, for forms that will be hosted ONLY to web clients, inserting a search-and-replaceable label on the form as a place-holder for running one's html mods after the Servoy form mods are done. Maybe even inserting text in the label that works as "include" code in the html page, and store your mods in an /includes/ directory. hmmmmmm.

???? are these reasonable theories or am just getting too creative here ????

(I must confess I have not looked deep into the web pages created by

kazar
kazar

Postby cookie » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:48 pm

That's bad for a choice on Servoy. When will this changes put into action? Is there a date for it? Or do you recommend us using filemaker for our solution?
cookie

Postby Harjo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:49 pm

Hi cookie, welcome to the forum.

I don't think Filemaker uses AJAX technology at all, and (as far as I know) never will!
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby pbakker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:04 pm

You can alter the HTMl templates Servoy generates as you like.

Once you alter a template, Servoy will not sync changes made in Developer to the HTMl Templates, untill you delete the altered template. Then Servoy will auto-generate the latest version of the HTMl template again.

You can also add custom HTML into an HTML Area inside Servoy.

Paul
pbakker

Postby cookie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:35 am

I've heard from a Filemaker developper, that it would be possible with a few tweaks. But I don't fancy their expensive licencing scheme and the dependence on filemaker and there are some problems with new versions of the application as well I think.

When do you think it will be possible with servoy building such a dynamic list? What is planned with AJAX? (I guess this stuff will play a big role in for Internet apps anyway).

And how much will cost a developper per hour approximately?
cookie

Postby grahamg » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 am

Hi Cookie

While I share your enthusiasm for AJAX components, it is not possible for Servoy to implement all the features on every developers personal wishlist.

However, you can contact sales@servoy.com directly and either persuade them that your requirement will bring a lot of licenses sales, or make a contribution to the cost of developing a specific feature now rather than later.

As with everything in business you have to work out the costs/benefits.

Best of luck

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

HTML templates

Postby netweaver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi Paul
Can you tell me where these templates are that can be modified.
Are they in the web appsfolder?

I would like to have my own startup page and provide the linke to the smart client and web client pages.
That way i don't need to create a separate html website.

Also if i want to create jsp pages, do i have to have another instance of tomcat to serve them or can i use the servoy instance?

Can you advise on the best approach.

Thanks Marcus

pbakker wrote:You can alter the HTMl templates Servoy generates as you like.

Once you alter a template, Servoy will not sync changes made in Developer to the HTMl Templates, untill you delete the altered template. Then Servoy will auto-generate the latest version of the HTMl template again.

You can also add custom HTML into an HTML Area inside Servoy.

Paul
Marcus Raath
Johannesburg South Africa
Servoy 3.5 & Sybase 10
netweaver

Postby pbakker » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:07 pm

JSP's can be hosted in the same Tomcat install as Servoy uses. Just place the JSP's in the <servoy_root>/server/webapps/ROOT/ folder.

As for creating your own Solution overview page: You do not have to look at the templates: The templates are for forms you create in Servoy. If you want to create your own Solution start page, you just need to create such a page in HTML and make sure that your users land there, instead of the standard urls (/index.html or /servoy-webclient)

Paul
pbakker

Postby Dexadrine » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Just a thought, have you looked at Ruby on Rails?

http://www.rubyonrails.com/
Paul
Edgeward Digital Design & Development
Servoy Developer - London
Dexadrine

Postby pbakker » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:33 pm

What would Ruby on Rails add to the equation here?

A html page containing a couple of links would not be that hard to make if you know a bit of HTML, I would think.

You can just replace the existing index.html in the root folder of Servoy's Tomcat webserver with a page containing those links.

Usually though, another webserver is allready in the network or is setup for forwarding requests on a certain domain directly to the right solution, so:

crm.companyname.com is forwarded to ip:port/servoy-client/servoy_client/crm
    webcrm.companyname.com is forwarded to ip:port/servoy-webclient/solutions/solution/crm

That would also be a way of hiding the list of solutions.

A third option people use is have 1 solution exposed to the outside world, which is basically a simple solution that allows users to select another solution and fire it up through scripting.

As always, many different options to achieve the result you want :D

Paul
[/quote]
pbakker

Return to Web Development