servoy with mysql for an addressbook/directory

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

servoy with mysql for an addressbook/directory

Postby guest » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:39 pm

I currently have an addressbook for an organization with about 1000 members/entries. I want to be able to post this addressbook on the web and give the membership access to it, with the ability to search the addressbook using various pieces of stored information, like city, state, employer, professional field, etc. I want the membership to be able to search using 'and', 'not', etc. I am not familiar with Servoy, but can you tell me if this is possible using Servoy and MySQL, because I want to avoid having to use two computers, which I need now to serve FileMaker files over the web.

Can you help me or point me in the right diredion?

thanks!

Postby edward » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:48 pm

I want to be able to post this addressbook on the web and give the membership access to it, with the ability to search the addressbook using various pieces of stored information, like city, state, employer, professional field, etc. I want the membership to be able to search using 'and', 'not', etc. I am not familiar with Servoy, but can you tell me if this is possible using Servoy and MySQL, because I want to avoid having to use two computers, which I need now to serve FileMaker files over the web.

With Servoy you can allow your members to access your address book via the web (pointing to the ip of your server). Servoy client is a thin client app which is served and users can login to solutions that you have written and are running on your server. The data that you use can be in an SQL database but unlike many CDML type web front-ends to databases, you have full flexibility with Servoy to deploy a solution, at the click of a button that your members can use. You can define what rights the users have (ie read-only) but with the benefits of a fully functional GUI. Servoy uses Java WebStart technology so they have to do nothing but click the link in the browser which then launches the Servoy Client application - out of the browser, and then downloads and installs onto their machine. 2.5mb application approx.

The way you design your solution, will depend on how your want your members to use it, but there is an EXCELLENT movie walk through posted here http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=611 by Matt Petrowski which demonstrates how you can script Finds - to make it easier for your users.

Another alternative, if you dont wish to go down this route would be to use PHP and hook it up to the same SQL backend...but this could take even longer and may not offer all the cool functionality that Servoy offers.

HTH
Edward Callaghan
Servoy
edward

Postby Harry Catharell » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:12 pm

Good and valid points from Edward.

You can deploy your thin clients over the web to allow your users access to the MySQL table data.

However there will be a cost attributed to this for the Servoy client licenses and it seems to me that this needs to be balanced against the cost of using FM Unlimited to host the data via browser access.

As Edward says, the advantage to using Servoy is that you have the option to use either method - simultaneously.

The MySQL tables can be hosted anywhere and you could get access to them either via PHP through a browser window or through a thin client.

Also you have the opportunity to administer this data yourself through a Servoy front end !

Overall I think that you have greater flexibility with Servoy but you need to decide how you wish to deploy it and rack up a cost/benefit analysis
Harry Catharell

Servoy Replacing FileMaker for Web Use

Postby Monte » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:21 am

If I use Servoy will each person who accesses the database via the Web need a Servoy client licenses?

I know with FMP you can server up to 10 IPs over a 12 hr period and with FMP Unlimited the number is unlimited. People don't need anything but a web browser. How does this license stuff work with Servoy?

Can I really use only one machine for the SQL database and Servoy when serving files to Web users?
Monte

Re: Servoy Replacing FileMaker for Web Use

Postby IT2Be » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:48 am

If I use Servoy will each person who accesses the database via the Web need a Servoy client licenses?

No you need the number of clients that are likely to work together at the same time. 100 users, 15 users working at the same time = 15 users needed...

I know with FMP you can server up to 10 IPs over a 12 hr period and with FMP Unlimited the number is unlimited. People don't need anything but a web browser. How does this license stuff work with Servoy?
See the above. Remember, the thin client is depending on Java. So you would need a computer, webbrowser for the initial download and java.

Can I really use only one machine for the SQL database and Servoy when serving files to Web users?
Yep, no problemo but offcourse depending on the db activity...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby pbakker » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:02 pm

In addition to the licenses issue:
If you have 15 licenses and a 16th person logs in, he/she gets a message that there are no licenses left and that the system switches to a traillicense. The user can than work in the system for 1 hours, before he/she gets messages to restart the system

Paul
pbakker

Postby edward » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:17 pm

If you have 15 licenses and a 16th person logs in, he/she gets a message that there are no licenses left and that the system switches to a traillicense. The user can than work in the system for 1 hours, before he/she gets messages to restart the system

This is correct although, this is a trial license and should be used as such. If you always have a need for 16 users rather than 15, then to abide by licensing laws you should by an extra license. [/quote]
Edward Callaghan
Servoy
edward

Postby Bert » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:54 pm

edward wrote:

This is correct although, this is a trial license and should be used as such. If you always have a need for 16 users rather than 15, then to abide by licensing laws you should by an extra license.

Maybe getting a little off-topic now, but suppose one builds a system for about a 100 users, but only 25 users are using the system at start-up at the same time so one has to get a licence for say 30 users.
Question: Is there a way to controll the amount of concurent users in a specific period of time wich indicates one should get more licences?
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Return to Web Development