Immediate timeouts for web clients.

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Immediate timeouts for web clients.

Postby AlanBourke » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Servoy 7
Solution is designed for web client only.
Runs fine on development PC.
Accessing solution from desktop of remote server works fine, i.e. locally to the server.
Accessing from a client PC across the internet allows log in to solution, but after a few seconds it goes to the default Servoy solution selection page.
Changing the server network settings tunnelConnectionMode to HTTP only seems to stop this, but then downloads don't work.
Nothing in log files (wrapper or server).
Only one client connecting with a memory ceiling of 3GB, so memory is not an issue.
Port 8080 is open for incoming on Windows firewall on server. 1099 not an issue as smart client not allowed.

Help!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Re: Immediate timeouts for web clients.

Postby AlanBourke » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Also, all the clients still show as being in on the application server admin page.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby mboegem » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:16 pm

licensing problem?
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby AlanBourke » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Marc

All licences OK according to the admin page ...

I have about one of these every second in .service_log.txt - could this be a problem ?

Code: Select all
INFO   | jvm 1    | 2013/10/11 16:13:07 | log4j:ERROR Attempted to append to closed appender named [fileAppender].

I also copied the server.properties from the V6 installation that was there before, because I read that you can do that.
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby jcarlos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Concerning, now that i am planning to move all my solutions as web clients.
Juan-Carlos Sanchez, Stanford University - Law and Economics
jcarlos

Postby Harjo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:14 am

tunnelConnectionMode is a setting that is only for smart-client.
has nothing todo with web-client.

strange... you could file a case (privat) with a link, and show it to Servoy.
I believe there is a way they can debug more for a web-client.
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby david » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 pm

I think you need to try with a clean install of your Servoy version before raising too much of an issue.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby AlanBourke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

It *is* a pretty much clean install, since there's no upgrade path from 6 to 7 ... and there's only one solution on it. But I think I will do that anyway.
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby AlanBourke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:21 am

In further testing - a simple test solution with one label on one form exhibits the same behaviour - redirects to the solution choice page after 10 or so seconds.

The Servoy admin page, accessed over the internet, works fine and does not time out. Well, probably after 60 mins.
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby AlanBourke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:55 pm

OK, reinstalled and re-configured everything.

Still does not work when accessed across internet apart from the Servoy admin page.

Solution still works fine when running in a browser on the server.

Can't be a plugin (I use a few like UserManager, Busy, JasperReports etc.) because if it was it wouldn't work at all from anywhere, right?

Mind-bendingly annoying.
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby AlanBourke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 pm

OK utterly lost with this now. It worked on V6. Does not work now for no reason I can ascertain.
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby david » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:55 pm

You may want to stick with 6.1.6 unless you are prepared to...

A little story about how we spent a year going from 6.1 betas to finally 6.1.6. Early on each point release fixed some things and broke some things. At about 6.1.3 we started getting private "RC" builds before point releases were shipped. Sometimes there were up to 4-5 RC builds for a point release. Each one of these fixed some things and broke some things.

We maintained two servers to compare new builds against old. We also kept Servoy install snapshots for each RC of each point release. We even set up our test servers so you could easily spin up a different release. We filed bug reports with detailed descriptions and sample solutions. If we caught an issue later down the line, we could (and did) go back and pinpoint which point and RC release the issue popped up in.

Against all this we had a fairly comprehensive testing process. We focused on UI and speed because these seemed to have the most variableness with regards to web client. We went from solution model being mostly unusable, network chatter out the wazzoo, CSS design incomplete, anchoring all over the place, various widgets issues, etc — to 6.1.6 which is a very solid release.

Along the way we figured out web client best practices, what to avoid, and how to seriously hack web client. It wasn't uncommon for other developers to wait to upgrade until they had seen the results of our testing.

Web client isn't the focus of 7.x so we're not moving up. (More likely they will break more than they will fix is our thinking.) Yes I miss not having constructors and yes I drool over the upcoming form folders and yes I'd like to being able to use Git without hard-linking directories...but it sure is nice taking a break from what seemed like non-stop Servoy testing.

Moral of the story: you will get stuck—over and over—and not just simple-stuck. You either need your own comprehensive testing process or you need to piggy-back off someone else's. And looking around, I don't think anyone (including Servoy) has this thorough of a process in place for testing 7.x builds (RCs are public now) from a web client perspective. Or at least they are not being vocal about it like we were.

So in my opinion, waiting for 7.x to mature would be a good choice if web client is your focus. 6.1.6 is just one of those rare "really solid" Servoy releases.
David Workman, Kabootit

david

Postby AlanBourke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks David

I was also beginning to come round to the conclusion that I should revert to 6.x myself ... what confuses me though is why everything would work in 7.x on developer, and on the customer server when running a browser there and accessing via localhost or whatever, but not across the internet ...

Ah well I suppose this is why we back things up ...
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby david » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:28 pm

The issues that are server only can be a real PITA for sure!
David Workman, Kabootit

david

Postby AlanBourke » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Same behaviour with 6.1.6

Random 'Page invalid'.

Since it all works fine via localhost I am beginning to suspect something is causing Tomcat sessions to timeout, but I have no idea how I would go about establishing that.

FFS
:cry:
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Next

Return to Servoy Client