JavaFX directly in Servoy?

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

JavaFX directly in Servoy?

Postby heindricke » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Do you think about integration JavaFX (*.fxml) directly to Smart Client development?
heindricke

Re: JavaFX directly in Servoy?

Postby paronne » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm

There is an open sourced module. svyJFXWebView, which can be used to have an easy use of the JavaFX into the Smart Client.
This module is available in GitHub https://github.com/Servoy/svyJFXWebView. You can checkout the lates code using git or download the module as a .servoy export (See releases).
FYI is known that the module is not functional with all versions of Java.
paronne

Postby heindricke » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:09 am

Yes, it looks fine. But should be in future JavaFX directly part of Servoy? Or this idea is not possible?
heindricke

Postby Bernd.N » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:46 pm

When customers ask me if something is possible, I usually say that nearly everything is possible.
It's generally a matter of priorities and funding. :)
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Servoy 7.4.9 SC postgreSQL 9.4.11 Windows 10 Pro
Bernd.N

Postby rwanink » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:11 pm

We can consider this, if sufficient customer back this up etc, but what in particular would you like it to bring you?
CTO Servoy
rwanink

Postby heindricke » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:53 pm

We can consider this, if sufficient customer back this up etc, but what in particular would you like it to bring you?

Join product from SceneBuilder (*.fxml) with Servoy controllers and data binding would be amazing.
heindricke

Postby Harjo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:46 pm

rwanink wrote:We can consider this, if sufficient customer back this up etc, but what in particular would you like it to bring you?

I think there will always be room for the real software client that runs on the OS itself.
(things like file-based actions, direct printing, direct connections to other stuff on the PC or Mac, will never happen in a browser!)

The smart-client is based on the (very old and no more developed) Swing set of Java.
As far as I know, JavaFX is the follow-up for swing applications. (if I'm wrong, I'm happy to hear :wink: )

Ofcourse, a lot of software can be converted to html. Also a lot of software can't. And those customers are looking for alternatives, because if nothing is done for the smart-client, it will be a dead-end.. IMHO.
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Smart Client

Postby Bernd.N » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:02 am

I can say I am very happy with the smart client so far, as it is fast and stable and matured, so that I was able to fully concentrate on the new application itself and the customer's requirements during the past two years.
That does not mean I oppose new technology, but it is important that any new technology reaches maturity so that it is possible to be fully productive with it.
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Servoy 7.4.9 SC postgreSQL 9.4.11 Windows 10 Pro
Bernd.N

Postby lwjwillemsen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:46 pm

+1 for smart client upgrade to JavaFX
Lambert Willemsen
Vision Development BV
lwjwillemsen

Return to Discuss Feature Requests