Servoy 8.1 Branding Settings (using Tomcat)

Q&A regarding installation and issues getting started with Servoy

Servoy 8.1 Branding Settings (using Tomcat)

Postby huber » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:09 pm

We have a context called 7r running in Tomcat. By context (Servoy wording?) I mean a WAR-Deployment without containing an application. So we can import on the <context>/servoy-admin page an existing SmartClient application exported as a .servoy file.
This is up and running :-)

Now I tried to setup the Branding for the context by entering the fields in the Branding Settings part. When starting the application, text entries, for example in the field servoy.branding.webstart.vendor:, are displayed. But I can't get images displayed, for example defined in servoy.branding.webstart.loadinglogo:

I have entered an absolute path for the images. Or has this to be a relative path? Do they have to be at a specific place? Best practice?

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
http://www.seven-r.ch
huber

Re: Servoy 8.1 Branding Settings (using Tomcat)

Postby paronne » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 am

Hi Robert,

if the deployed WAR contains the images, the branding should be relative to your context name and the images should be inside your WAR.
For example if your deployed WAR contains such folders:
- lib
-- images
--- custom-image.png

the branding property should be set to lib/images/custom-image.png
You can test if the image is available by opening to the url <tomcat-url><context>/lib/images/custom-image.png, you should see the image in your browser.
Regards,
Paolo
paronne

Postby huber » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Paolo

Thanks for your clarification. Do you know if it's possible to add images after the WAR deployment, i.e. if the deployed WAR does not contain images?

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
huber

Postby paronne » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi Robert,

You should be able to add images after the WAR deployment but you need to do it again each time you undeploy the WAR.
If you place the images in the folder SERVOY_INSTALL/application_server/lib/images of your Servoy Developer installation, the images will be included in the exported WAR.

Regards,
Paolo
paronne

Postby Andrei Costescu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:32 pm

I guess normally you would have that preconfigured in the properties file that you use for war export - and also as Paolo said have the gif ready.
You can also create a feature request for offering an upload image capability on the admin page.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby huber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Paolo

Thanks for the hint. Putting the images at the mentioned place does not work in in my environment. I add it to the WAR-Export.

Regards,

paronne wrote:Hi Robert,

You should be able to add images after the WAR deployment but you need to do it again each time you undeploy the WAR.
If you place the images in the folder SERVOY_INSTALL/application_server/lib/images of your Servoy Developer installation, the images will be included in the exported WAR.

Regards,
Paolo
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
huber

Postby huber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Andrei

I added the graphics in PNG-Format to the WAR-Export and that works, except for the desktop icon (servoy.branding.webstart.loadinglogo=/lib/images/hades_desktop_icon.png), which is not applied, i. e. shown. The standard coffee cup is shown. Is there a size limit for this image? As the very same Branding Setting works in Servoy 7.4.4, I assume it should work in Servoy 8.1 as well?

I also noticed when using a Profile (with Branding Settings) the desktop icon is NOT created. But it is created when using NO Profile. What's missing?
Andrei Costescu wrote:I guess normally you would have that preconfigured in the properties file that you use for war export - and also as Paolo said have the gif ready.
You can also create a feature request for offering an upload image capability on the admin page.

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
huber

Postby Andrei Costescu » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:07 am

I am not aware of size limitations. Did you use the same .png in Servoy Server and in Tomcat war deployment?

To narrow it down: do you use the same JVM on server (tomcat for war and servoy server) and on client? Try clearing the client java cache as well before each access to see if that makes any difference.
Can you access the /lib/images/hades_desktop_icon.png directly from the browser? (does Tomcat serve that without requiring authentication for example, but I guess this is a 'yes' because the icon shows in other places)
Do you use http or https in both cases (so the same one)? Do you use the same set of properties for branding in both cases (taking into consideration the profile if it's used)?

About the second problem with branding - it should work if you don't have the 'servoy.clientDesktopShortcutCreation' set to false for that profile. It will also not create the shortcut if you access the jnlp with query arguments - but neither is special behavior for war deployment.

If all of the above don't give any clues, you should create a case (and add a link to this topic in it).
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Return to I'm just getting started