Tip: Setting up Eclipse to launch NGClient\WebClient in Edge

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Tip: Setting up Eclipse to launch NGClient\WebClient in Edge

Postby AlanBourke » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Microsoft Edge is a new-fangled Universal App and as such can't be launched via a standard EXE file.

If you want to add it to your browsers list in Eclipse (under Window->Preferences-General-Web Browsers), so it becomes available on the 'Start NGClient' button, you do it as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Re: Tip: Setting up Eclipse to launch NGClient\WebClient in

Postby kwpsd » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks for posting this, Alan. Rather interesting and surprising (for me, anyway). I thought Edge was a separate executable program from Internet Explorer (IE), but it looks like Edge is part of IE (or based on IE). After reading this post, I typed 'microsoft-edge:' in the IE address bar, and IE launched Edge. Who knew?
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Re: Tip: Setting up Eclipse to launch NGClient\WebClient in

Postby AlanBourke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Edge *does* have an execuable, it's
Code: Select all
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

However that doesn't strike me as the sort of location you could rely on in future updates of Windows 10, so I think the other approach is safer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Return to Eclipse Environment