Batch printing vs Smart Client print

The forum to discuss the Headless version of Servoy. Web, Java and Servlet development questions can all be posted here.

Batch printing vs Smart Client print

Postby palacio » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi I'm new to Servoy 8 development.
We are currently upgrading from servoy 5 to servoy 8 and I would like to ask if someone here already experienced my problem.
First of all for printing we are using JasperPlugin, printing directly to a printer from a smart client works very well. My problem is I have a Batch process that needs to print in bulk or print the paper later, the process of printing with the smart client is the same with the batch process. When the batch process runs , it completes the process but it does not print anything to the printer... The weird thing is that this Batch process works on Servoy 5 and I don't understand why does it not work when it should run in batch process printing.

I also found out that it is producing a file "Name of the printer"(without the type of file) under the C:/servoy/ folder. But if I rename the file and write the extension or the type of the file ".pdf" it will become a pdf and it is really the file that I wanted to be printed in the printer.

Hope someone could help me.
Palacio
palacio

Re: Batch printing vs Smart Client print

Postby Joas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:55 am

A big difference is that the smart client runs on the client machine and the headless client (batch processor) runs on the server machine.
Does the server have access to the same printer as the client?

What does your code look like?
That file that you are talking about, is that created by both clients?
Joas de Haan
Yield Software Development
Need help on your project? yieldsd.com
Joas
Site Admin

Re: Batch printing vs Smart Client print

Postby palacio » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:28 am

Joas wrote:Does the server have access to the same printer as the client?

I think yes because the client that I used to test the printers was in the windows server where the Application Server is installed.
But I will verify it if the server has access to these printers.

Joas wrote:What does your code look like?
That file that you are talking about, is that created by both clients?

The client and the batch process runs this code to print directly to the printers.

Code: Select all
plugins.jasperPluginRMI.runReport(reportSource, jasperName, outputDevice, outputFormat, objParamReport);

The thing that I don't understand is , when the batch process run it creates the a file inside the folder C:/Servoy/application_server/"printer_name" but it does not proceed to the printer queue.

Cattura.PNG
Cattura.PNG (28.59 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
palacio

Return to Servoy Headless Client