Number of items in a Valuelist

Questions and answers on designing your Servoy solutions, database modelling and other 'how do I do this' that don't fit in any of the other categories

Number of items in a Valuelist

Postby steve1376656734 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:33 pm

According to the documentation, the default number of items shown in a valuelist is 500.

However, the .spec file for a component can also specify a maximum when defining the valuelist property and for the bootstrapcomponents-typeahead this is set to 100.

Does anyone know if there is a way to override this component setting and get the typeahead to show 500 records? Or even 1000 records which you used to be able to do by using:
Code: Select all
application.putClientProperty(APP_UI_PROPERTY.VALUELIST_MAX_ROWS, 1000)

Thanks
Steve
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Re: Number of items in a Valuelist

Postby robert.edelmann » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:55 pm

This limit only applies the combobox-controls, so we navigated around it by using typeahead-fields in many places + buttons for opening a lookup-window with a search-field, since our users had a hard time searching the long lists. What kind of data do you have?
mit freundlichen Grüßen
Robert Stefan Edelmann
robert.edelmann

Postby steve1376656734 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:04 pm

It's just a contact list but the bootstrap-components typeahead is limiting the valuelist to 100 items and the users are used to seeing more in the list.

It's silly really as the typeahead is a much better experience but they still want to be able to scroll the list!
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Postby rafig » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:14 pm

If you 'pre-load' the value list using a query, rather than letting Servoy dynamically load it, then (I think) it overrides that limit... (I used to do this in Smart Client solutions, so can't be sure with (Ti)NG client...

Rafi
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby mboegem » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:15 am

steve1376656734 wrote:It's just a contact list but the bootstrap-components typeahead is limiting the valuelist to 100 items and the users are used to seeing more in the list.

It's silly really as the typeahead is a much better experience but they still want to be able to scroll the list!

Hi Steve,

I get what you are trying to achieve, but personally I never use long lists in comboboxes just because it's to much work to find your entry by scrolling.
Like Robert mentioned, use a type-ahead and add a button next to it which will open a list picker.
The list picker can be record based and allow your users to scroll down.
Besides that you can add more advanced filter options to the listpicker which will make it easier to lookup a particular entry.

I still use the listpicker module on ServoyForge for this (https://www.servoyforge.net/projects/mod-listpicker), although I've modified the code and forms to use webcomponents for (Ti)NG solutions.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby steve1376656734 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:52 am

I totally agree with you both regarding having long lists so, alternate question:

Does anyone know how to stop users moaning that "it's not how it used to be" and "we much prefer the old way of doing it"? :roll:
Steve
SAN Developer
steve1376656734

Postby mboegem » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:16 pm

steve1376656734 wrote:Does anyone know how to stop users moaning

would this help? https://www.tape-deal.com/nl/nichiban-g ... m=72483293

Question is: why did they like that so much?
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby steve1376656734 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:38 am

I've just ordered 500! :D

I have no idea why they like it but I think I need to ask.

Considering the average age of our staff is 26 they seem to act like tech-phobic dinosaurs a lot of the time.
Steve
SAN Developer
steve1376656734

Return to Programming with Servoy