Servoy Team Bests Oracle, .Net, Magic and More

Servoy announcements

Servoy Team Bests Oracle, .Net, Magic and More

Postby bcusick » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:46 am

Check out this press release:

Press Release

CONTACT: Brenda Duncan, Servoy, USA, (805) 218-9790 or (805) 529-6299 x111

For Immediate Release

Servoy and SQL Anywhere Bests Oracle Forms, Oracle JDeveloper, Eclipse, .Net and Magic in Development Tools 2006 Contest

Amersfoort, The Netherlands March 30, 2006 Today Array Publications, producers of 12 magazines for the software market, announced the winners of the Development Tools 2006 (formerly the "RAD Race"). Servoy, B.V., a Rapid Application Development (RAD) software company took one of the top winning positions in the race. All of the entrants are required to build a business solution within 48 hours, containing many complex business rules and logic. This was Servoy's first attempt at competing in the contest and the 2-man Servoy team was very pleased with the outcome.

Servoy is a relatively new technology platform, yet managed to beat out the competitions development environments including: Magic, Oracle Forms, various Java frameworks and a .Net based environment. Jan Aleman, CEO of Servoy, B.V. says: "We are very proud to receive this recognition of our technology. The race was very difficult as it consists of building a complete business application with many complex business rules and then deploying it both as a back-office and a web-enabled front-office application. The reason we placed high in the finals is that Servoy does not excel in just one aspect of application development, but is strong on all sides of the application, especially ease of deployment."

Servoy is a rich Java front end Graphical User Interface (GUI) that can connect to almost any backend database, including multiple databases (or multiple databases) at the same time. Additionally, it can deploy to multiple outputs (web, mobile, desktop, etc.) all with the same code. These native capabilities gave the Servoy team a huge head start over most of the competitors in the field. Servoy's CEO also notes that Servoy ships with a copy of SQL Anywhere database, to make it simple for the customer to write an application. SQL Anywhere is the market-leading database and synchronization product from iAnywhere, a subsidiary of Sybase. Says Aleman: "Thanks to tight integration with SQL Anywhere we had a solid database to run on and with the iAnywhere PowerDesigner we were able to start off with a very well designed data model." According to Rick van der Lans, president of the jury, this is a point where many teams failed.

One of the comments from the jury was that with most tools it was difficult to produce nice looking layouts. They praised Servoy's native, modern looking user interfaces. Another aspect that the jury liked is that with Servoy you don't have to code pages of Java code to implement your business rules; rather you can solve this with simple JavaScript statements and Servoy's built-in extensive library of functions. One of the conclusions of the jury was that they see a large potential for the Java-4GL's (such as Servoy): a mix of the productivity of the classic 4Gl environments but with the extensibility, scalability and acceptance of Java based products.

The RAD Race (recently renamed to Development Tools 2006) has been held since 1997 and focuses on a real-life solutions. This year's event was based on creating a conference planning solution. The 2-person teams are essentially locked into a room for 2 days and must create the solution from scratch. They may use any software and hardware they choose to bring or that is made available to them at the competition. The programming is fast and furious - but with an eye towards social IT consciousness and a lot of fun.

For more information, please visit www.servoy.com.

###
Last edited by bcusick on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby grahamg » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:25 am

What a great result - congratulations to the Dream Team & of course all the Servoy Developers!

Just one request - please dont publicise that a complete business solution can be built in just two days - I usually charge at least 3-4 :)

Look forward to seeing the trophy at Servoy World

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby akalehzan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:18 pm

I always knew that Servoy is the best out there.

Congratulations to all Servoy team and all the people who choose Servoy!!

Best regards,

Abrahim
akalehzan

Postby IT2Be » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:05 pm

I like it, I like it. Let our fellow developers know 'the word' and create a large developer base.
Would be great for all of use! Boy do I hate to say 'I knew it'...
Hmm, no I just love it :)

GONGRATULATIONS SERVOY
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby jim » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:57 am

Who are these mystery champs?
jim

Postby Harry Catharell » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:24 am

I have been pondering the very same question, Jim :?

Could it be the 'A' team ?
But then you have only Aleman in there

Could it be the 'B' team ?
Perm any two from: Blok, Berkenbosch, Boom

Could it be the 'C' team ?
We have the Cusick, Compagner pairing

Whatever, easy as A,B,C I suppose......

But who was it - do tell ?

Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby IT2Be » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:43 am

Harry, I think you forgot Brenda, Sebastiaan, Andy and Marc. They would make D Team...
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:46 am

And the E team with Joas, Corne, Sanneke and Rutger
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby grahamg » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:58 am

If my reading of a Dutch website is correct Servoy were confident enough to put forward a coupe of newbies: Janale Man and Johancom Pagner.

Haven't seen these guys on the Forum before so it was a very impressive performance.

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby IT2Be » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:01 pm

Graham, is that 'thinking and reading' a result of what's left of that dutch beer in your blood that you had to drink last Servoy World?
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby grahamg » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 pm

Thanks for the reminder Marcel !! I get a hangover just thinking about the lobby bar of that hotel. Did they ever get round to doing any Servoy stuff that week - it's all a bit hazy.

I guess our American hosts will keep us on Starbucks this year so we can go home with caffeine overload instead of alcohol poisoning.

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby IT2Be » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:32 pm

Well, funny that you ask. I don't remember :)

Guess so, I even received a lot of reactions from people that claim to have attented a presentation where I was the host.
Can't even find such presentation on my laptop though...
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Harry Catharell » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:39 pm

IT2BE wrote:Harry, I think you forgot Brenda, Sebastiaan, Andy and Marc. They would make D Team...

You know, Marcel, my whole premise was that Servoy are becoming 'Alphabetists' and trying to cover all letters of the alphabet using staff names ! :lol:

With 'A', 'B' & 'C' sorted and van 'E'rk covering the 'E's then they had to bring in Brenda 'D'uncan to cover the gap

Need to know the surnames of : Joas, Corne, Sanneke and Rutger to establish the pattern because there are big gaps there between 'N'orman and 'R'ooswinkel :?

Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby IT2Be » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Maybe too much beer also Harry:)

But I understand your point. However I think you missed another pattern they also broke:

JA - Jan Aleman
JB - Jan Blok
JC - Johan Compagner

But what about the rest??? And, Maarten was there before JB and JC as far as I know... What are they doing. So much involved in Servoy that they can't think out of the box anymore? But hey who cares... As long as we will get what we want they can have the names they choose (or was it their parents?).
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby david » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:36 pm

All the dutch beer and ... would explain why my reaction to this news was so wacky.... :)

This is really very cool Servoy.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Next

Return to Announcements