scrollbars in body only

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

scrollbars in body only

Postby jim » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 pm

A small matter, maybe, but still...

When scrollbars extend into the header section, the result is not pleasing to the eye, and not what the user is likely to expect. Presumably, scrollbars could be applied at the form OR part level, for that (I believe) unusual circumstance where someone wants the header to scroll along with the body (e.g. when the form is Record View as opposed to List View, perhaps). But then, why bother with a header in such a case?

Perhaps the better (simpler) alternative is to leave the scroll property at form level, but only scroll the body, not header/footer/etc.

Thanks,

Jim
jim

Re: scrollbars in body only

Postby Robert Huber » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 am

Hi Everybody

In supporting that request, I would like to add (precise) a bit in that would it be possible to span on table view the title over the whole width of the column and not let the slider run into the header bar (title).

Merci and thanks, Robert

jim wrote:A small matter, maybe, but still...

When scrollbars extend into the header section, the result is not pleasing to the eye, and not what the user is likely to expect. Presumably, scrollbars could be applied at the form OR part level, for that (I believe) unusual circumstance where someone wants the header to scroll along with the body (e.g. when the form is Record View as opposed to List View, perhaps). But then, why bother with a header in such a case?

Perhaps the better (simpler) alternative is to leave the scroll property at form level, but only scroll the body, not header/footer/etc.

Thanks,

Jim
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby IT2Be » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:19 am

Have you added the request to the support system? I agree btw...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby jim » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:51 pm

I have now.

It seems that the Feature Request discussion group is a place to reality-test ideas before posting to the Support System database. Otherwise... why does it need to exist? Or, alternatively, why is it necessary to post feature requests to the Support System, when this forum exists?

Process could use streamlining, I think...
jim

Postby kazar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:27 pm

jim wrote:It seems that the Feature Request discussion group is a place to reality-test ideas before posting to the Support System database. Otherwise... why does it need to exist? Or, alternatively, why is it necessary to post feature requests to the Support System, when this forum exists?

Process could use streamlining, I think...

I disagree. I think you first hit it spot-on when you suggested that forums provide great places to hash out ideas and to distill the exact nature of a bug or the best way we would like a feature request to be implemented. How often does someone from Servoy post back asking for clarification here, or proposing a particular implementation and thereby opening up consideration of a new feature to our whole community for collective brainstorming. How often do we think we've encountered a bug, or do we think we need a new feature, only to find out after posting here that all we needed was complete information that is provided by our peers or by Servoy, and did not need a bug fix or new feature at all.

So these forums serve a few indispensable functions:

1. community inquiry into a problem or idea, to gather ideas together in one place, visibly to each other

2. a place for Servoy engineering to ask their preliminary questions, and to get as many of our brains as possible on the issues

3. a vetting ground to filter out as many of the false bug reports or needless feature requests, before they go into the support system db and take up our most precious resource of all:

Servoy Engineering Time

kazar
kazar

Postby chartpacs » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:31 am

Hi Jim,

I have also submitted a support ticket for the same issue, as discussed here:
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=6893

One member (Robert Huber) posted a workaround, which I'd prefer not to have to implement, and I agree that it's rather unsightly to have scrollbars extend into the header. I hope this can resolved soon.
Regards,
Servoy Developer
Version 3.1 beta2-build 401
Java version 1.5.0_06-64, Mac OS X 10.4.8
chartpacs

Postby Robert Huber » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi Sean

chartpacs wrote:Hi Jim,

I have also submitted a support ticket for the same issue, as discussed here:
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=6893

One member (Robert Huber) posted a workaround, which I'd prefer not to have to implement, and I agree that it's rather unsightly to have scrollbars extend into the header. I hope this can resolved soon.

I completely agree with you and by no means I think a workaround should be needed for such fundamental layout functionality. I just wnated to share knowledge because I did the workaround for a demo project and I don't want to look it bad, otherwise my potential customer thinks we can not do better.
Did you also mention that the same is true for the footer? I also hope it will be resolved soon, because having many workaraounds in the code does make our developer life harder.

Thanks and best regards, Robert
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby chartpacs » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:16 pm

Hi Robert,

I'm glad you found a workaround. It's just that I'll probably have a lot of list views in my solutions, so it would just be very time consuming to implement the workarounds for all of them.
Regards,
Servoy Developer
Version 3.1 beta2-build 401
Java version 1.5.0_06-64, Mac OS X 10.4.8
chartpacs

Postby Robert Huber » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi Jim, Servoyans

Can anyone say something about the status of the scrollbar running into headers and footers. I really have a problem with this behaviour as I have for axample buttons on the footer of a table list view but as the scrollbar is running into the footer it's just looking not acceptable (for the user).

Please could Servoyans give a hint when we can expect that scrollbars are not running into header and footer?
An answer would be very very welcome.

Thanks and best regards, Robert

chartpacs wrote:Hi Robert,

I'm glad you found a workaround. It's just that I'll probably have a lot of list views in my solutions, so it would just be very time consuming to implement the workarounds for all of them.
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby yekibud » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:49 pm

I just ran into the same problem. I have some navigation items in my header that function on my list body, but I don't want the vertical scrollbar to creep up into the header part. Maybe adding this to the "define part options" might be a good place.
Tony Schmidt | Independent Contractor
GNU/Linux 2.6.22 | Ubuntu 7.10 | Servoy 3.5.2
yekibud

Postby Jan Blok » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:55 pm

This is implemented in Servoy 3.5.3
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Column-headers in list do not align anymore with the columns

Postby Willem » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 pm

In 3.1, the scroll-bar was visible in the title-header, so right-anchored column-headers stayed aligned with the columns.
Now, in 3.5, the scrollbar is removed in the title-header and the right-anchored column-headers are shifted (with the width of the scroll-bar).

Has anyone an elegant solution for this or should I enter a case?
Last edited by Willem on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willem Schouten
Ayton B.V.
Willem

Postby Jan Blok » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:33 pm

There is a difference between title header and header, besides the header there always a small cornerpanel (with dimensions you specify) which is not scrollable and therefor not used
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Return to Discuss Feature Requests