DBManager: RecordLock New Function

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

DBManager: RecordLock New Function

Postby Michael Mooney » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:25 am

Could definitely use a Function that returns the User ID of the individual placing a lock on a given record or set of records (and the time of the lock).

I realize this is available via the application Server front-end. However, sometimes it becomes more of an issue when someone "takes off from their terminal and leaves the node in Edit mode ...". Example: someone goes for lunch and leaves an important record (that other people need access to) open for editing.

See also discussion under thread http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t ... ight=locks.

Would like to be able to communicate with the (frustrated) user that "Joe in Accounting has placed a lock on this record at 08:45. The lock will automatically be released at 09:30 if Joe is not using this record."

It is not always desirable to "go see the sys-admin".

Important for larger install bases and SAAS implementations.

Thanks, Michael
Michael Mooney

Postby ngervasi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:42 am

Good idea! I second this one.
It happens to my clients really often, it would be very handy being able to show who is locking the record directly inside servoy client.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby ngervasi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:47 am

Hey! This was an old thread of mine!
Looks like I'm still interested in this feature... :D
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby Michael Mooney » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:02 am

Our clients must think alike ... they all seem to go for lunch and leave a bunch of locked records for others to wonder what's going on ... :shock: ... I'm blaming it on too many martini's over lunch ... couldn't possibly be a technical matter. :wink:
Michael Mooney

Postby IT2Be » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:56 am

Don't forget to enter it in the support system.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Hans Nieuwenhuis » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:08 am

Would be very usefull !!
I second this one.
Hans Nieuwenhuis
Betagraphics
http://www.deltics.nl
http://www.betagraphics.nl

Servoy Version 7.3.1
Java version 1.7.0.x
Database Oracle 11g
Hans Nieuwenhuis

Postby Michael Mooney » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:17 pm

Entered to Support System - case 87532
Michael Mooney

Re: DBManager: RecordLock New Function

Postby jbrancoIF » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:01 pm

So, I was hesitating between resurrecting this thread or https://www.servoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5514&highlight=locks instead.

I checked and voted the case
https://support.servoy.com/browse/SVY-608

And wanted to know when should we expect this to be implemented? It's a case from 2007...

In the mean time I know I could use Servoy.de UserManager plugin.

But if we want to implement just this special feature in our plugin, could someone give me some hints how to do it?
I checked the Servoy 5.x and 6.x public API and can't figure out how to do it. It should be in the Server somewhere because Servoy shows it in the Admin page, but there's no easy method in the API to get it. Or I'm just missing something?

PS: Get the Admin page and parse it is not an option.

Thanks, João
João
InfoForm SA

Servoy 2021.03
jbrancoIF

Postby jcompagner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 pm

do vote and add new information to that case then
(what kind of api you like to have)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby jbrancoIF » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm

jcompagner wrote:do vote and add new information to that case then
(what kind of api you like to have)

I'll do that. And hope the others interested in this feature do the same. (more votes means more chances of being implemented and quicker?)

Could you just comment something on this, please:

jbrancoIF wrote:But if we want to implement just this special feature in our plugin, could someone give me some hints how to do it?
I checked the Servoy 5.x and 6.x public API and can't figure out how to do it. It should be in the Server somewhere because Servoy shows it in the Admin page, but there's no easy method in the API to get it. Or I'm just missing something?

Thanks, João
João
InfoForm SA

Servoy 2021.03
jbrancoIF

Postby ngervasi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm

João,
why would you want to reinvent the wheel? This functionality is already implemented and working well in Usermanager and now Usermanager is free btw.
Having said that, I voted Yes because I think that this should be offered as a standard servoy feature, I know that Patrick always had an hard time to keep this working whenever servoy code is upgraded so I'd really like to have it directly in servoy. I documented how I would like it to work in Jiira.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby lwjwillemsen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Better : don't use locking where the end-user input releases such a lock. We don't in our framework...
Lambert Willemsen
Vision Development BV
lwjwillemsen

Postby ngervasi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

lwjwillemsen wrote:Better : don't use locking where the end-user input releases such a lock. We don't in our framework...

I don't get it, what do you mean exactly?
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby jbrancoIF » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:47 pm

ngervasi wrote:João,
why would you want to reinvent the wheel? This functionality is already implemented and working well in Usermanager and now Usermanager is free btw.
Having said that, I voted Yes because I think that this should be offered as a standard servoy feature, I know that Patrick always had an hard time to keep this working whenever servoy code is upgraded so I'd really like to have it directly in servoy. I documented how I would like it to work in Jiira.

I read your comment in JIRA and I'm preparing mine too with some other (good I hope) ideas.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just wanted to know all the options before taking a decision.
From what you say it's a bit of an hack and because of that you're dependent on Patrick hard time to keep this working.
João
InfoForm SA

Servoy 2021.03
jbrancoIF

Postby ngervasi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:56 pm

It's not an hack but I guess that Patrick code is based on how servoy handles this internally and if they change it he has to update as well.
With usermanager you can get all the locks for a given table, it would be nice if servoy would allow us also to get the lock for a given record or foundset.

Ideas are always welcome! And votes too, any other out there willing to vote?
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Return to Discuss Feature Requests