i18n please remove size limitation on column 'message_value'

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

i18n please remove size limitation on column 'message_value'

Postby olivier melet » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:36 am

We often run into the 2000 chars barrier when setting up 'html' i18n keys values, which are very handy in order to display local formatted help into forms.
By default, column 'message_value' of table'Messages' is set to 2000 characters. As long as I know it, such size is then interpreted as 'special' text by most sql engines. Why doesn't we directly set it to Text? And thus remove the size limitation?
Obviously, we can manually change the length of the text field in our repositories, modifying column definition in every instance of the Messages table, but this adds to complexity and is a source of error while deploying solutions. We actually do it without trouble, using it with keys as long as 15-16k.

This feature request is filed under servoy support system with number 143345.
Olivier Melet
Administration et projets
InfoForm SA
olivier melet

Postby patrick » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 pm

The same "problem" occurs in the log table. The columns for old and new data is varchar(4000). Longer values cannot be logged...
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Re: i18n please remove size limitation on column 'message_value'

Postby jcompagner » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:26 pm

But if you create your message table yourself with what ever size you want
Then when you export the solution and import it to a clean database. That same message table will be created with your size..
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Re: i18n please remove size limitation on column 'message_value'

Postby olivier melet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:16 pm

jcompagner wrote:Then when you export the solution and import it to a clean database. That same message table will be created with your size..

This is true, but doing this way, we must also generate the message table, and thus include it in our projects. Thus being disconnected from Servoy 'standards' tables.
We already do this for a while (more than 2 years if I remember well). But we think it is actually a nonsense to be limited by size with current DB engines. And as the message table is normally managed (at least created) by Servoy, we would prefer to be able to use it without having to handle it.
The same remarks applies to the log table too.

Johann, please consider this request if it does not create compatibility troubles with any DB engine.
I hope this is not a big deal to change those three columns definition, in order Servoy developers and users will never again bump into this limitation.

Many thanks in advance for your answer.
Olivier Melet
Administration et projets
InfoForm SA
olivier melet

Return to Discuss Feature Requests