Certificate UI

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

Certificate UI

Postby Karel Broer » Tue May 25, 2010 11:12 am

The jar signing stuff has been for most of us a bit of a pain in the ... . :(

Gladly we have hero's like Johan and Patrick to help us deploy valid signed jars with a nice signtester.jar tool :)

But.. I think most Developers would like to have a UI to handle this whole signing thing.
So I would like to submit a feature request for a UI 'Certificate' option.

I think that sign/unsign actions would be great to execute from within Servoy's Eclipse enviroment.
Maybe show a 'Certificate' dialog (as a node in the File menu or something) with some options to:
- Create a self certificate
- Assign a (selected) certificate with the options to:
a- only sign all unsigned jars or
b- overwrite all jars (remove all existing certs and sign them by selected certificate)

This way creating and deploying applications in Servoy is doable for non-techies again 8)
Karel Broer
ServoyCamp - http://www.servoycamp.com
Karel Broer

Re: Certificate UI

Postby jcompagner » Thu May 27, 2010 4:27 pm

problem could be.. that what jars do you want to sign? or remove singing and sign again?
Those jars could be in use by your running servoy developer so we could get problems trying to update them.
So doing this in a running Serclipse for its own jars is not really an option as far as i can see.
Besides that, the server is most of the time installed in a completely different location then the developer, so what use does a developer option really have?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby rafig » Thu May 27, 2010 4:49 pm

OK, how about a separate Java app like Marcel's IT2BeManager that installs his stuff? (Marcel/Johan???????)

Rafi
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby Karel Broer » Thu May 27, 2010 4:59 pm

jcompagner wrote:problem could be.. that what jars do you want to sign? or remove singing and sign again?

A possibillity could be to display in the ui what (main)components need to be signed, like display a list of components with a checkbox that says: 'sign this component'.
Those jars could be in use by your running servoy developer so we could get problems trying to update them. So doing this in a running Serclipse for its own jars is not really an option as far as i can see.

Right. How about performing the signing during a restart of Serclipse?
Something like: developer runs the Certificate dialog from Serclipse > developer chooses what components need to be signed > developer press 'OK' button > Serclipse shutsdown > signing is executed > Serclipse is launched again.
Besides that, the server is most of the time installed in a completely different location then the developer, so what use does a developer option really have?

The plugs, beans and lib files will mostly be signed on a local developer machine. After signing, those folders can be deployed to whatever server location.
rafig wrote:OK, how about a separate Java app like Marcel's IT2BeManager that installs his stuff? (Marcel/Johan???????)

This could be a nice alternative too, but I prefer to get the Java app in the Serclipse root folder then when doing a clean Serclipse install.
Karel Broer
ServoyCamp - http://www.servoycamp.com
Karel Broer

Return to Discuss Feature Requests