SQL commands in database connection settings

Discuss all feature requests you have for a new Servoy versions here. Make sure to be clear about what you want, provide an example and indicate how important the feature is for you

SQL commands in database connection settings

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:08 pm

In the Servoy training I gave at PgDay Europe someone came up with a good question/feature request.

They use PostgreSQL with several schemas in one database. Depending on the user logging in they set the search_path right after they connect to the database. In other words they make specific schemas (plural!) available depending on the user.
I know you can create specific JDBC connections to a single schema each but what he suggested was to be able to do this at the connection time.
I heard a rumor there is a dynamic connection coming in 6. Would it be possible to have an onConnect even to allow such search_path commands to be send?
Are there a bunch of gotchas with this because of JDBC or the connection pool or is it doable ? What about the meta data (.dbi) that Servoy needs, etc.
Of course another way is to let the database handle this and use database users that have specific access to certain schemas, which would be doable with dynamic connections I suppose.

Perhaps Johan, JB, Paul or Rob can comment on this?
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Re: SQL commands in database connection settings

Postby Jan Blok » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:23 pm

The rumor is not true. Its not planned either and would withheld running Servoy as part of an Java EE server in the future. (if we introduce such a feature)
Connections based on users are from the 2 tier architecture's, in 3 tier architecture's (alike Servoy) this is very uncommon.
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Re: SQL commands in database connection settings

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:17 pm

That makes sense.
Thank you for the explanation.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Return to Discuss Feature Requests