Custom Servoy installers?

Home for older / inactive topics

Custom Servoy installers?

Postby david » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Wondering if it would be possible to build our own installer or customize Servoy's installer to make the delivery of our own Servoy applications smoother. One step install vs install Servoy, create database connections, add in plugins, and import solution. We probably would even remove some things out of Servoy that aren't needed.

It would also allow us to "lock on" to a particular release of Servoy until new releases have been tested out.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Re: Custom Servoy installers?

Postby ROCLASI » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi David,

Knowing that we can't even distribute the installer that Servoy creates themselves (legal-wise) I highly doubt that you can distribute the binary with your own installer without any formal agreement between you and Servoy.
I suggest you contact sales@servoy.com to discuss options.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby sbutler » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:01 pm

Yes, this is possible to do, both with the App Server, or with a Runtime. Some people build them with commercial tools like InstallShield. I've also used PackageMaker with XCode on the mac for mac only. However I suggest using the same installer Servoy uses: http://izpack.org/ . I also use a GUI tool called PackJacket to build the config for IzPack: http://packjacket.sourceforge.net/ .
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby david » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 pm

goldcougar wrote:Yes, this is possible to do, both with the App Server, or with a Runtime. Some people build them with commercial tools like InstallShield. I've also used PackageMaker with XCode on the mac for mac only. However I suggest using the same installer Servoy uses: http://izpack.org/ . I also use a GUI tool called PackJacket to build the config for IzPack: http://packjacket.sourceforge.net/ .

But not possible for Servoy Developer?
David Workman, Kabootit

david

Postby OTERO » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks goldcourgar

This tool "PackJacket" will save me all the work to create the xml by hand.

Thank you very much.
Iván Otero
Developer
AESPAIN, S.L. - Developers Team
--
Servoy 5.2.8 build 1016
Win7 - Java 1.6.0_24-b07
OTERO

Postby sbutler » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:27 pm

david wrote:But not possible for Servoy Developer?

Well, its possible, but its a lot of work. Your essentially rebuilding Servoy's installer. So you have to handle OS and architecture (32 vs 64 bit) differences. Also, with the AGPL license, I doubt you can actually package it all together unless your stuff is open-source as well.

Two Other Options:
1. Build an installer like Marcel or Patrick that just gets installed over Servoy to add in all of your stuff.
2. Could potentially build a multi-part installer. Where your installer includes the Servoy installer bundled, and first part runs standard Servoy installer, then runs your custom stuff.

OTERO wrote:Thanks goldcourgar

This tool "PackJacket" will save me all the work to create the xml by hand.

Thank you very much.

You are welcome. Its a great tool. I use it for my runtime installers.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby david » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:51 pm

goldcougar wrote:Also, with the AGPL license, I doubt you can actually package it all together unless your stuff is open-source as well.

Two Other Options:
1. Build an installer like Marcel or Patrick that just gets installed over Servoy to add in all of your stuff.
2. Could potentially build a multi-part installer. Where your installer includes the Servoy installer bundled, and first part runs standard Servoy installer, then runs your custom stuff.

Great, just the perspective I needed. It is for an open source project -- will give it a shot. Thanks!
David Workman, Kabootit

david

Postby ptalbot » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:10 pm

PackJacket is great for simple installers, it has a GUI that is easy to use, but as soon as you get into more advanced stuff it is not complete enough and you will have to learn about the xml structure of IzPack.
So basically, you can use it to create the bare bones of your installer, but you will soon hit a wall as soon as you start customizing (and each edit you do directly in the xml will be lost if you edit again in PackJacket).
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby rogel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:01 am

ptalbot wrote:PackJacket is great for simple installers, it has a GUI that is easy to use, but as soon as you get into more advanced stuff it is not complete enough and you will have to learn about the xml structure of IzPack.
So basically, you can use it to create the bare bones of your installer, but you will soon hit a wall as soon as you start customizing (and each edit you do directly in the xml will be lost if you edit again in PackJacket).

Hi Patrick,

I have a question on the izpack installer.

Are the files different if installed in windows and in unix? and if 32bit or 64bit? I am hoping to create an installer(izpack) that will contain the installed application_server folder but afraid if it will run only on the same OS and architecture.
rogel

Postby ptalbot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:13 am

IzPack can do OS and architecture specific installation, in your <pack> nodes you can define <os family> and also launch java jars that will target specific architecture. That's the way I use it for the BrowserSuite installer.
Patrick Talbot
ptalbot

Postby rogel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:38 pm

ptalbot wrote:IzPack can do OS and architecture specific installation, in your <pack> nodes you can define <os family> and also launch java jars that will target specific architecture. That's the way I use it for the BrowserSuite installer.

Thanks!
Only the BrowserSuite has OS and Architecture dependency? What I mean is does the application server directory in the servoy installer differ in the "installed" files when installed in windows and unix? I do not have a machine using unix at the moment for test.
rogel

Postby ptalbot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Developer has some part which is OS specific, mainly SWT libs which are OS/Architecture related.

But what's in application_server is not supposed to be OS specific, apart from the PostgreSQL DB if you choose to install it.
The rest is straight Java, mainly a Tomcat installation, java jars and properties, it is the same on all platform.
Patrick Talbot
ptalbot

Postby rogel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:46 pm

ptalbot wrote:Developer has some part which is OS specific, mainly SWT libs which are OS/Architecture related.

But what's in application_server is not supposed to be OS specific, apart from the PostgreSQL DB if you choose to install it.
The rest is straight Java, mainly a Tomcat installation, java jars and properties, it is the same on all platform.

Thanks! I will try to install on windows and linux. Though I guess linux does not recognize .bat files?
rogel

Postby rogel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:53 am

ptalbot wrote:Developer has some part which is OS specific, mainly SWT libs which are OS/Architecture related.

Hi Patrick,

I am building a custom installer in IzPack for our application so the user will not go to servoy-admin import solution screen. This is the requirement since the user is not technical and might break stuff.

Thanks!
rogel

Postby pogie.nocedo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 am

I created an installer with izpack. Its in .jar file. I want to make it in .exe file. How can I do it in an easy way?
pogie.nocedo

Next

Return to Archive