Corruption

Questions, tips and tricks and techniques for scripting in Servoy

Corruption

Postby djlapin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 am

I hope this isn't too elemental a topic to be discussed here.

I've read various references to having a corrupt repository. Do Servoy solutions files become corrupted over time (e.g., hard disk failures, force quits, etc.)? If so, is there a tool for diagnosing corruption and repairing it?

Thank you,
Don
djlapin

Re: Corruption

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 am

Hi Don,

First of all all the Servoy files in the workspace are in fact text files (except images of course). So corrupted info (if any) is easy to fix.
But I don't remember any cases that files got corrupted in this way.
What is more likely to happen is that your workspace gets corrupted. This means that the metadata inside the workspace that Eclipse uses is somehow out of whack. This can even cause Eclipse to crash.
It is fixable though by renaming the old workspace (it's just a directory on your harddrive) and create a new directory with the old name.
Now you can launch Servoy/Eclipse and you have an empty workspace. Then you select File > Import in the menubar. Then under 'General' you find the option to 'Import an existing projects into Workspace'. Here you can then point to the corrupted workspace and import your solutions into your fresh workspace.
Of course if you used SVN (or any other SCM) then you could simple create a new workspace and checkout the source again from your SVN repository.

But like with any environment you should always make backups. On Mac you have TimeMachine to make hourly backups and I believe Windows has something similar now as well. So if something is irreparable you could always revert to your backup.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby djlapin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:05 am

Hi Robert,

Yes, I do use Time Machine, even though it can be annoying at times. I've also been making .servoy backups at least once a day.

Thanks for your considered response,
Don
djlapin

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 pm

using svn or another kind of versioning system would be also good to use
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Methods