Alias for WebStart URL

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Alias for WebStart URL

Postby Robert Huber » Thu May 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi

I am looking for a way to replace the WebStart call for the client by an alias, i. e. replacing
http://<ip-address>:<port-no>/servoy-client/<application-name>.jnlp by a shorter alias like for example <application-name>

How can this redirect be done?

Regards, Robert
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
User avatar
Robert Huber
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby mboegem » Fri May 11, 2012 12:57 am

Hi Robert,

on windows you could create a windows shortcut.
in the location type: javaws http://<ip-address>:<port-no>/servoy-client/<application-name>.jnlp

rename it and you're all set and done.
_____________________
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance SAN Developer

Image
User avatar
mboegem
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:34 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby Harjo » Fri May 11, 2012 8:23 am

or place an html in your server ROOT folder, like: login.html

and than do: http://<ip-address>:<port-no>/login.html

Code: Select all
<html>
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; URL=/servoy-client/<aplication-name>.jnlp">
</head>
<body>
<span style="display:none">servoy-client</span>
</body>
</html>
Harjo Kompagnie
Direct ICT / Servoy Hosting / ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
User avatar
Harjo
 
Posts: 4307
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:42 pm
Location: DEN HAM OV, The Netherlands

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby david » Fri May 11, 2012 5:52 pm

For anything that is not quick and dirty we put Servoy web client solutions in an iframe, use url rewrites (http://www.tuckey.org/urlrewrite/) and often have an apache/mod_rewrite server in front of servoy server.
David Workman, Kabootit

Image
Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
User avatar
david
 
Posts: 1727
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby Robert Huber » Mon May 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi All

Thanks a lot all of you for sharing your ideas and code. I tried Harjos solution, as I like to have it for all users on one place (in this case the Web Server ROOT folder). The only missing puzzle part is how to avoid entering the port-no in the URL. There must be a way to just enter something like http://<domain-name>/<application-name>? I tried putting the port into the login.html file (Harjos post), but could not get it to work. Any idea?

Best regards, Robert
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
User avatar
Robert Huber
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby grahamg » Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Robert

We setup a sub-domain and then use Domain forwarding.

So client.worxinfo.com is forwarded to ServerURL:8080/servoy-webclient/ss/s/ClientApp

This will not work for everyone as some organisations have policies that prevent re-directs so it does depend on your client.
Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
www.worxinfo.com
grahamg
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:15 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby david » Mon May 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Robert Huber wrote:Hi All

Thanks a lot all of you for sharing your ideas and code. I tried Harjos solution, as I like to have it for all users on one place (in this case the Web Server ROOT folder). The only missing puzzle part is how to avoid entering the port-no in the URL. There must be a way to just enter something like http://<domain-name>/<application-name>? I tried putting the port into the login.html file (Harjos post), but could not get it to work. Any idea?

Best regards, Robert


Refer to my answer above. All of them mask the port number.

You're in web server land now. A few extra skills are needed to get out of basic-mode deployment.
David Workman, Kabootit

Image
Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
User avatar
david
 
Posts: 1727
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby Robert Huber » Mon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Graham

What record type are you using for domain forwarding where you can enter the whole string? I was looking for that but didn't find an appropriate one.

Regards, Robert

grahamg wrote:Robert

We setup a sub-domain and then use Domain forwarding.

So client.worxinfo.com is forwarded to ServerURL:8080/servoy-webclient/ss/s/ClientApp

This will not work for everyone as some organisations have policies that prevent re-directs so it does depend on your client.
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
User avatar
Robert Huber
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby Robert Huber » Mon May 14, 2012 5:42 pm

David

You are right, so I try to build up the needed knowledge, but I am also looking for the least complicated way :-) I looked at your proposal but it seemed more than I need, but also possible I missed the point :-(

Regards, Robert

david wrote:
Robert Huber wrote:Hi All

Thanks a lot all of you for sharing your ideas and code. I tried Harjos solution, as I like to have it for all users on one place (in this case the Web Server ROOT folder). The only missing puzzle part is how to avoid entering the port-no in the URL. There must be a way to just enter something like http://<domain-name>/<application-name>? I tried putting the port into the login.html file (Harjos post), but could not get it to work. Any idea?

Best regards, Robert


Refer to my answer above. All of them mask the port number.

You're in web server land now. A few extra skills are needed to get out of basic-mode deployment.
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
User avatar
Robert Huber
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby david » Mon May 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Robert Huber wrote:...but I am also looking for the least complicated way :-)


I'm always a fan of least complicated :) Trade off is that URL rewrites gives you 100,000x's more flexibility than any forwarding technique does.

If all you're trying to do now is get rid of the port, can you run Servoy server with tunneling on?
David Workman, Kabootit

Image
Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
User avatar
david
 
Posts: 1727
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby grahamg » Mon May 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Robert

We are using 1and1 hosting for this particular project and they have an option to enter the full URL string. We also use Easily.co.uk but they do not have the full string option.

You could also look at Port 80 Virtual Host setup. I have multiple Servoy Servers hosted with Harjo/Direct ICT (brilliant service :D ) and we have all Clients going in through Port 80 then being re-directed through a httpd-vhosts.conf file. That means we can just send out URLs like clienta.worxinfo.com, clientb.worxinfo.com and use the vhosts file to redirect them to the correct Servoy Server without exposing the actual Port numbers.

Regards
Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
www.worxinfo.com
grahamg
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:15 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby Robert Huber » Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks a lot, Graham, for your descriptions, will dig in further :-) Regards, Robert

grahamg wrote:Robert

We are using 1and1 hosting for this particular project and they have an option to enter the full URL string. We also use Easily.co.uk but they do not have the full string option.

You could also look at Port 80 Virtual Host setup. I have multiple Servoy Servers hosted with Harjo/Direct ICT (brilliant service :D ) and we have all Clients going in through Port 80 then being re-directed through a httpd-vhosts.conf file. That means we can just send out URLs like clienta.worxinfo.com, clientb.worxinfo.com and use the vhosts file to redirect them to the correct Servoy Server without exposing the actual Port numbers.

Regards
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
User avatar
Robert Huber
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland

Re: Alias for WebStart URL

Postby Gordon McLean » Fri May 25, 2012 3:01 pm

On a similar subject is there a way to do this for smart clients ?? Someone just asked me if they could embed a link from their intranet to a Servoy smart client and all I can find is the full blown link to the server. What we are looking for is a link to the local install of Servoy smart client on a windows XP or 7 machine. Initial thoughts were yes simply you ....... BUT having looked its either staring me in the face or its not that straight forward - ideas welcome !

As for Web client URL ReWite would seem favorite !!

Cheers
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Clickdigital.com
Gordon McLean
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:24 pm
Location: UK


Return to Servoy Client

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests